Sunday, August 23, 2009

I want an umbrella and cherry with that!

Yesterday was very hard physically. They tried three times before they got the irrigating bladder catheter in, and it hurts constantly. The bladder anaesthestic drug does help a bit. I have now got two catheters (each with three tubes) and an IV pole with 6 bags of meds going constantly...more bags appear for chemo---another 2 drugs today. All the chemo has messed up my electrolytes, so I am taking a "delicious" phosphorus drink. I will ask for an umbrella and cherry garnish on my next one! And let's not forget the blood thinning shots and the lasix, my usual 20 drugs, and vital signs every 15 minutes to 4 hours depending on the drug. And now, another EKG (I get them daily).

MaryJo from the Cathedral of St.James (layperson) stopped by with the liturgy, sermon, and host...and a cup of Starbucks coffee for me! I anchor my days with morning prayer and compline. It helps to contain everything that is happening to me in a protected and holy space.

I am getting huge amounts of cytoxan (3300 mg) and solumedrol (1000 mg), so I am very weepy. The high doses of solumedrol have an unusual benefit--on lower doses I want to SHOP, but on high doses, I can't decide what I want, so I don't buy anything.

The best news of the day concerns Sophie! Dr. Burt says she can sleep with me when I come home. He remarked that a dog's saliva (and kiss) is cleaner than a human's.

No comments:

Post a Comment