Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Wish You Were Hair!



A stem cell transplant involves intense chemotherapy--it's about 10 times the normal "cancer" dose. I'll receive cyclophosphamide chemo for 6 days in the course of the transplant. It's an enormous dose because they need to destroy your immune system before they give you a new healthy one. The upside of this hellacious experience is a real chance to be well. The downside...well, let's just say I will be bald and quite possibly *completely* hairless. Due to the high dose of chemo, my hair won't even start to grow until 3 months after the transplant.




And so, you will see me in hats, scarves, and the Revlon "Impressive" wig (pictured above). I'm impressed with how realistic it looks (and how expensive it was). I just wish I weren't going to lose my hair!




A few thank yous are in order: to June for going wig shopping with me; to Gail at Monet Studio for a great discount; and to Leslie for wig advice and styling.

1 comment:

  1. Everyone I've known who's gone through chemo has come back with something different growing out of their head. If they started out curly, they came back straight...and vice versa. I saw a friend today for the first time since her hair started growing back....she's completely gray! And she has the most beautifully shaped head! The one common denominator: They've all LOVED what has happened to their "new" hair.

    Hang in there kiddo. Hair grows back....become a fashion trend setter with your lovely scarves and hats!
    Love from Amanda, Nellis & Da Sasha Monster

    ReplyDelete